4.29.2011

Fear (inspired by pboy)

Fear is at the core of all cowardice,
Be it on honor’s field or in the pew,
Death seen as that which must be avoided,
No matter the true cost in human souls.

Fear is at the core of all that controls,
Power is beholding to its tight grasp,
It keeps the rabble marching in close ranks,
Toward whatever goal shadows have in store.

Fear is what robs us of the joy of chance,
To dream, experiment and take a dare,
Playing it safe rather than being bold,
Bleeding life’s rich colors all into gray.

Fear demands of us a higher purpose,
Not simple lives in harmony and peace,
Must be more than a cosmic accident,
Can be no meaning that we alone create.

Fear demands that we always feel it’s late,
Rushing about to avoid some judgement,
Never stop to savor the here and now,
Miss today chasing empty promises.

Fear most often generates the cold hate,
That serves the shadow’s aims and purposes,
Filling their pockets with silver and gold,
And the cheap coffins of the innocent.

Fear is at the core of every failure,
Of every person less their potential,
Of melancholy nostalgic laments,
Pining after all that they might have been.

Fear limits the heights to which we may soar,
Smothers our curiosity and thought,
If there is a true spiritual realm,
It must be beyond these walls of our fear.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

All too true. Living in fear creates a profound despair, an alternate reality where moments and hopes are cruel illusions.

As much as religion can be defended, its lifestyle of fear is dissonance to the melody of the mind and the harmony of the *soul.*

pboyfloyd said...

I smiled when I read that.

mac said...

Fear is the glue that holds it all together.

GearHedEd said...

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Pliny-the-in-Between said...

Ed, I actually toyed with referring to Dune in the passage. I always liked that part.